Our client is a world-class integrated petrochemical plant producing high-density and medium-density polyethylene, 1-hexene and other products, using state-of-the-art technology. They have a production designed capacity of 453,000 tonnes/year of PE and a 1-hexene unit with a designed capacity of 47,000 tonnes/year. The site also has a Sulphur recovery and solidification plant, a water treatment plant, seawater cooling system, dock facilities and administrative buildings. Their vision is to grow sustainably, in alignment with Qatar National Vision and became the leader of world class operators in the petrochemical industry by 2027.
- Advise and assist Maintenance l&E Engineers, electricians, instrument technicians and production supervisors on complex electrical and instrument repairs and troubleshooting methodologies.
- Support all the efforts towards building a harmonious work environment to promote the spirit of cooperation and team building within the l&E Reliability Section.
- Provide required technical support in matters requiring higher level of expertise and consultation.
Instrument & Electrical Assets Integrity
- Develop and implement Reliability strategies by utilizing conventional techniques such as Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM), Root Cause Analysis (RCA), Preventive and Predictive maintenance (PPM) strategies, and other industry accepted reliability techniques to analyse l&E equipment failures and produce cost effective strategies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the plant.
- Implement Mechanical Integrity & Quality Assurance best practices. Work with other concerned departments to develop & execute appropriate Quality Assurance (QA) practices and develop a mechanism to assess the effectiveness of QA practices.
- Proactively identify l&E Equipment Reliability Issues and develop engineering solutions for chronic and sporadic equipment reliability problems. Work with technical, production and maintenance to implement solutions.
- Lead Reliability Improvement efforts of the plant from the platform of Reliability Improvement Teams (RITs).
- Perform Root Cause Failure Analysis to identify various failure modes and recommend strategies to help improve l&E equipment reliability.
- Evaluate RCA reports, criticality studies, equipment strategies, and risk assessments on equipment to ensure consistency and compliance with company procedures and policies.
- Evaluate facility incidents that affect reliability and ensure that appropriate RCAs are performed.
- Assist in tracking RCA findings and completing action items in a timely manner .
- Develop Instrumented Protective Systems (IPS) related work processes in the company to comply with regulatory requirements mandated both by International Standards (IEC61511/ISA 84) and Company Standards RMS 5700.
- Administer the development of detailed engineering calculations and drawings including the preparation of Single Line Diagrams, Schematic Diagrams, Cable Schedules, Interconnection drawings, loop drawings, Instrument data sheets etc.
- Prepare technical inquiry requests to vendors, participate in the technical evaluation of vendor bid offers.
- Review vendor drawings and documents and review design calculation. Ensure vendor equipment specifications meet the design specifications and are within budgeted costs.
- Reviews equipment specs/designs to ensure equipment can meet reliability objectives.
- Participate as a technical adviser on capital projects and turnarounds.
- Participates in the MOCs and PSSRs of new installations to assure adherence to functional specifications.
- Act as subject matter expert (SME) in performing root cause analysis (RCA) investigations and provides expertise to the RCA teams as required.
- Review and optimize ITPMs for functionally critical l&E equipment (MICE).
- Drive consistency in l&E equipment design across the site as part of projects review including consistency in maintenance strategies.
- Provide communication to area resources about improvement projects.
- Provide input as needed on projects to ensure design and reliability issues are considered and addressed on new projects.
- Provide guidelines to Maintenance in order to ensure that Life Cycle Asset Management processes are complied with throughout the entire life cycle of new and old assets.
- Champion continuous improvement fosters relationships between various plant functions to focus on total quality.
Policies, Systems, Processes and Procedures
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities for the continuous improvement of departmental systems, policies, processes and practices taking into account ‘international leading practices in order to improve productivity and operational efficiency.
- Provide critical input to support the development of l&E Reliability Section’s systems, policies, processes, and procedures in order to meet business requirements.
- Ensure team members comply with all l&E Reliability Section’s policies, processes, standard operating procedures and instructions so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner.
- Prepare relevant reports in a timely and accurate manner in order to meet the departmental
- Prepare relevant reports in a timely and accurate manner in order to meet the departmental requirements, policies and standards.
- Support supervisor in the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets. Ensures reliability projects and activities are completed on time and within budget.
- Communicate ideas, present, and explain technical knowledge to stakeholders.
- Communicate to Supervisor to inform on issues that require additional follow up.
- Report incidents and near misses and participate in investigations as required.
Quality, Health, Security, Safety and Environment
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and relevant quality, health, safety, security and environmental procedures and controls across the Department to guarantee employee safety and delivery of high quality products/ services.
- Required (Years2 / Job Level3 / Industry): Total of 7-10 years of experience in the fields of Electrical equipment & systems maintenance and technical support preferably in a process industry, out of which 5-7 years at a similar position.
Preferred (Years2 / Job Level3 / Industry): Experience in Petrochemicals Industry
Other Job Specific Requirements and/or Vocational Accreditations
- Well conversant with protection and control systems of a large process plant involving High and Medium Voltages (132/33/6KV).
- Solid understanding of the concepts of electrical protection system design and intelligent protection relays operation.
- Experience in failure mode & effect analysis and good understanding of failure mechanisms of Electrical equipment.
- Troubleshooting techniques and ability to analyze and resolve engineering problems independently.
- Knowledge of relevant IEC and IEEE Standards and or other well recognized standards.
- Familiarity with ETAP and similar system modeling and analyzing tools would be an additional advantage.
- Relevant experience in having performed load flow & short circuit studies, Relay discrimination and coordination studies for an industrial electrical distribution system.
- Familiarity with CMMS preferably SAP.
- Sound understanding of industrial PLC and Packaged control systems.
Required (Qualification1 / Discipline):
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical/ Electronics/Instrumentation Engineering.
Required (Years2 / Job Level3 / Industry):
- Total of 7-10 years of experience in the field of Instrumentation &
- Controls maintenance and technical support preferably in a process industry, out of which 5-7 years at a similar position. Experience in Petrochemicals Industry.
Other Job Specific Requirements and/or Vocational Accreditations
- Knowledge of automation/control systems, including: DCS, PLC, Safety Instrumented Systems, function block and ladder logic programming, industrial instrumentation, electrical equipment and process analytical systems.
- Experience with design and maintenance of Plant Instrumentation, Control Valves, and Safety Instrumented Systems and process safety management programs.
- Functional Safety Certification as Functional Safety Engineer (FS Eng.) preferred.
- Hands on experience on the use of ExSILentia software preferred.
- Working Knowledge on International Standards related to Instrumentation and Controls design and maintenance such as IEC, ISA, FCI etc. as well as Functional Safety standards IEC61511/ISA 84.
- Experience in failure mode & effect analysis and good understanding of failure mechanisms of instruments employed in a process industry.
- Troubleshooting techniques and ability to analyse and resolve engineering problems independently.