- The successful candidate will set high standards of performance for themselves and their projects, maintain a professional demeanor in written and verbal communications while developing innovative solutions.
- The candidate will be a technical lead and manage a small group of development engineers.
- This role will report to the Senior Manager of Controls and Automation.
- Lead a team developing control algorithms, system architecture and compiling software for PLC/PAC/SBC based systems, HMI design/implementation, data logging, and communication interfaces related to the drilling industry.
- As a ‘player-coach’ be able to provide feedback and guidance to team members and organize employee performance and evaluations for direct reports.
- Provide accurate system diagrams, loop diagrams, block diagrams, and network diagrams for new or existing software systems.
- Generate design documentation, drawings, operation manuals and related material for systems code and hardware.
- Perform as lead engineer on the solutions developed by the team; understand and ensure compliance with the functional descriptions.
- Mine large sets of data to diagnose and resolve dysfunctions within drilling rig control systems.
- Generate work tasks, organize the ordering and delivery of equipment and materials, and oversee the efficient installation and commissioning of software and equipment.
- Work directly with third party contractors, Operations, Technical Services, and HSE management and rig crews to assist with the execution of a wide variety of company goals including, but not limited to, drilling system controls, R&D projects, etc.
- Provide technical support to field personnel as required to assist with troubleshooting PLC and control system issues.
- Enforce all processes for software change control to ensure that changes are introduced in a controlled and coordinated manner, including documentation and version management.
- Ability to lead of a team, managing multiple tasks and working on multiple projects simultaneously to meet challenging deadlines.
- Demonstrate clear written and verbal communication skills and the ability to promptly give, and follow directions.
- Ability to safely navigate the yard and shop work sites with occasional walking, climbing, standing, stepping, etc. during normal operating conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather).
- Ability to safely navigate drilling rig work sites including regular walking, climbing, standing, stepping, etc. during various weather conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather).
- Ability to proficiently use MS Office Suite to develop presentations, correspondence, reports, and schedules (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
Physical ability to:
- Lift and carry 50 pounds independently while walking on uneven surfaces
- Bend, stoop, kneel, twist, and crawl occasionally during visits to the field and operational work areas
- Listen for unusual noises that signify equipment and or machinery problems
- Stay alert and focused including during occasional extended work periods
- Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to safely move around the work environment with many moving objects including overhead machinery
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all designated times
- Ability to regularly travel as needed to visit worksites and support business units; may require extended travel to remote locations and/or overnight stay(s) outside normal office area
- Ability to work on weekends and be on call after hours as needed
Demonstrated ability in the following leadership competencies:
- Builds and Maintains Effective Relationships
- Develops Self and Others
- Builds Effective Teams
- Courageous Leadership
- Managing Vision and Purpose
- Business Acumen
- Drive for Results
- Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or related field not limited to Electrical / Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Controls and Automation
- Proven experience in ladder logic design and implementation
- 5+ years of HMI development
- 5+ years of proven experience with PLC/PAC/SBC programming and HMI development
- Experience with standard communications protocols (Ethernet/IP, Profibus, Profinet, CANBUS, OPC UA, etc.)
- Experience working in a multi-developer environment
- Proven experience with PLC/PAC/SBC programming related to drilling controls and automation
- Experience in HMI development using Wonderware / WinCC
- Experience in Omron PLC programming using CX-One software
- Experience in deploying solutions using Labview
- Working knowledge of VFD drives, and related equipment used in the drilling industry, preferably Converteam and Yaskawa VFDs
- Certifications: None
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes