With expertise and scale in major operational areas, our client provides a diverse network of drilling and pressure pumping services, directional drilling, rental equipment and technology to forge their customer’s path to success. Their oilfield solutions deliver results that lead your business into the next generation of oil and gas.
They have a fleet of fit for purpose land-based drilling rigs and significant pressure pumping horsepower, as well as a leading position in directional drilling and wellbore placement services that are positioned in the most active plays throughout the U.S.
- The successful candidate will set high standards of performance for themselves and their projects, maintain a professional demeanor in written and verbal communications while developing innovative solutions.
- The candidate will be a technical lead and manage a small group of development engineers.
- This role will report to the Senior Manager of Controls and Automation.
- Lead a team developing control algorithms, system architecture and compiling software for PLC/PAC/SBC based systems, HMI design/implementation, data logging, and communication interfaces related to the drilling industry.
- As a ‘player-coach’ be able to provide feedback and guidance to team members and organize employee performance and evaluations for direct reports.
- Provide accurate system diagrams, loop diagrams, block diagrams, and network diagrams for new or existing software systems.
- Generate design documentation, drawings, operation manuals and related material for systems code and hardware.
- Perform as lead engineer on the solutions developed by the team; understand and ensure compliance with the functional descriptions.
- Mine large sets of data to diagnose and resolve dysfunctions within drilling rig control systems.
- Generate work tasks, organize the ordering and delivery of equipment and materials, and oversee the efficient installation and commissioning of software and equipment.
- Work directly with third party contractors, Operations, Technical Services, and HSE management and rig crews to assist with the execution of a wide variety of company goals including, but not limited to, drilling system controls, R&D projects, etc.
- Provide technical support to field personnel as required to assist with troubleshooting PLC and control system issues.
- Enforce all processes for software change control to ensure that changes are introduced in a controlled and coordinated manner, including documentation and version management.
- Ability to lead of a team, managing multiple tasks and working on multiple projects simultaneously to meet challenging deadlines.
- Demonstrate clear written and verbal communication skills and the ability to promptly give, and follow directions.
- Ability to safely navigate the yard and shop work sites with occasional walking, climbing, standing, stepping, etc. during normal operating conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather).
- Ability to safely navigate drilling rig work sites including regular walking, climbing, standing, stepping, etc. during various weather conditions (day/night, outdoor hot/cold weather).
- Ability to proficiently use MS Office Suite to develop presentations, correspondence, reports, and schedules (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
Physical ability to:
- Lift and carry 50 pounds independently while walking on uneven surfaces
- Bend, stoop, kneel, twist, and crawl occasionally during visits to the field and operational work areas
- Listen for unusual noises that signify equipment and or machinery problems
- Stay alert and focused including during occasional extended work periods
- Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to safely move around the work environment with many moving objects including overhead machinery
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all designated times
- Ability to regularly travel as needed to visit worksites and support business units; may require extended travel to remote locations and/or overnight stay(s) outside normal office area
- Ability to work on weekends and be on call after hours as needed
Demonstrated ability in the following leadership competencies:
- Builds and Maintains Effective Relationships
- Develops Self and Others
- Builds Effective Teams
- Courageous Leadership
- Managing Vision and Purpose
- Business Acumen
- Drive for Results
- Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or related field not limited to Electrical / Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Controls and Automation
- Proven experience in ladder logic design and implementation
- 5+ years of HMI development
- 5+ years of proven experience with PLC/PAC/SBC programming and HMI development
- Experience with standard communications protocols (Ethernet/IP, Profibus, Profinet, CANBUS, OPC UA, etc.)
- Experience working in a multi-developer environment
- Proven experience with PLC/PAC/SBC programming related to drilling controls and automation
- Experience in HMI development using Wonderware / WinCC
- Experience in Omron PLC programming using CX-One software
- Experience in deploying solutions using Labview
- Working knowledge of VFD drives, and related equipment used in the drilling industry, preferably Converteam and Yaskawa VFDs
- Certifications: None
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes