Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills and responsive patient care values.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively, verbally and in writing with patients, family, associates and providers.
- Analytical ability to evaluate patient condition, capabilities, and progress.
- Professional knowledge to evaluate, plan, and administer appropriate treatment safely.
- Good organizational and prioritizing skills with good attention to detail.
- Ability to learn proper billing and coding as related to the department.
- Provides excellent patient care using independent judgment and clinical expertise while following state and Clinic regulations.
- Selects appropriate assessment procedures to evaluate the abilities and limitations of patients of all ages and diagnoses and plan appropriate treatment programs using department protocols when applicable, based on physician referral, evaluation results, patient/family goals and interests, sound clinical judgment and other pertinent available information. May receive referrals from physicians or peers to evaluate and treat more challenging cases.
- Will develop a plan of care, discuss it with the patient and/or responsible party, and obtain verbal (or written) informed consent. Periodically re-evaluates patients utilizing clinical judgment for progression/modification
- Administers daily treatment, ensuring that the treatment plan is age appropriate and patient-specific. Makes recommendations to physicians regarding the plan of care, which may include change of treatment, change of frequency, additional referrals, orthosis, or durable medical equipment.
- Indirectly supervises physical therapy assistants and directly supervises physical therapy extenders in administering treatments to patients and will teach them appropriate techniques to perform with specific patients.
- Provides education to the patient, family, or significant others based on patient needs. Identifies patient learning readiness, preferences, and learning barriers and will address those patient-specific needs.
- Uses review of their documentation as a tool to develop assessment and treatment skills.
- Instructs patients, family, or significant other in a home exercise program and use of home equipment. Will appropriately progress the home program and activity level throughout the episode of care.
- Completes documentation of patients in the electronic medical record.
- Will document all patient evaluations, plans of care, and treatments in the electronic medical record in a timely manner with feedback from a clinical mentor. Documentation will follow established templates and meet Medicare requirements.
- Accurately completes coding and billing for services provided. Documentation will support all charges and will appropriately reflect the skilled services provided
- Participates in ongoing educational activities
- Meets all continuing education requirements needed to maintain licensure
- Provides input on the learning needs of individuals or the team and offers suggestions for implementing training and education.
- Responsible for maintaining productive daily operations
- Responsible for maintaining productivity metrics.
- Monitors openings and/or cancellations in their daily schedule and takes action to effectively fill the openings with patients
- Utilizes ancillary staff efficiently and ethically based on practice act and payer-provider rules
- Must have a Bachelors Degree in Physical Therapy. Virginia Physical Therapy License or eligibility to get one is required.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.