Our Client operates in the Packaged Foods Industry, with its headquarters rooted strongly in the United States. It has its branches spread to more than 180 countries. They fall under the Fortune 500 Companies. Their core business is manufacturing and selling a broad range of convenience foods. It also is a well passed down legacy business, making a mark through history.
- An extremely exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Legal Department as a business lawyer working with our MENAT Business – a diverse cluster which unites 33 countries in Middle East and Africa.
- We are looking for someone to join our team of passionate, proactive, highly motivated and driven individuals.
- We are looking for an individual with a legal background who demonstrates technical brilliance, commercial acumen and a true passion for our iconic global brands.
- Our lawyers play a key role in the business ensuring legal compliance whilst having a real seat at the table with regard to commercial decisions.
- The successful candidate will be expected to drive day to day business matters and engage proactively with a focus on compliance in corporate matters, Finance, IT, HR and Supply Chain.
- We expect our Senior Legal Counsel to develop strategic support of the business in above areas, including solid legal risks assessment, creating and implementing action plan in collaboration with local business teams and regional legal team.
- The Legal Team is a fun, friendly and energized department.
- The role is based in our office in Cairo.
In your role as Senior Legal Counsel – MENAT you will contribute to the success of the business by:
- Focusing on legal support for Finance team in corporate matters and simplification of existing legal structure in Egypt, UAE and KSA.
- Manage corporate governance and compliance for the MENAT companies with support from our external service providers, including establishment, merge and liquidation of legal entities, conducting annual and extraordinary board meetings, issuing power of attorney and similar.
- Working on contracts including drafting and negotiating the supply agreements with the suppliers and distributors.
- Working with the European legal team, AMEA legal team, Business Unit Managers, and external consultants to provide the most robust legal protection in commercial area.
- Providing advice to local teams on labour matters with support of HR teams, managing labour conflicts and litigation.
- Representing the company during state audits and challenges of the authorities and dealing with the results of the audits including drafting appeals andor corrective action plan to minimize company risks.
- Manage potential and existing litigations with customers and suppliers with focus on reduction of the number of active cases in courts.
- Act as a Compliance Officer responsible for making live Ethics Code in MENAT business by building strategy for prevention, identification and reaction to compliance risks.
- Instruct and manage external legal counsels when needed in several countries across MENAT.
- Providing proactive solution focused legal advice tailored to the needs of the business with a balanced approach of commercial and compliance focus.
- Monitoring and interpreting the legislative environment in which the company operates.
- Proactively identifying legal risk and providing commercially sound legal solutions.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues across multiple functions in a global organisation.
- Leading Local Incident Management Team together with Supply Chain, Communications and Sales in case of potential or actual food regulatory and safety issues.
- Be a key member of Egypt Leadership Team to develop High Performing Team across the region.
- Play a key role in the Legal Team, as a keen team player, and importantly a strong commercial partner to the broader MENAT business, contributing to the growth and constant evolution of the Global Legal and Compliance Department.
- A qualified commercial/business lawyer with at least 5 years post qualification experience in a reputable law firm or within industry.
- Strong academic background.
- Technical excellence in your understanding and communication of the law.
- Experience in commercial contracts and litigation.
- Experience in corporate and labor law.
- Experience in consumer law and food law.
- Commercial acumen and strong relationship development skills.
- The ability to communicate with many different levels of the business and influence key stakeholders.
- The ability to work cross functionally and across all levels.
- Experience of working in a fast paced demanding legal environment.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills (including drafting and negotiating) and organizational skills.
- Self-motivated and driven to develop legal capabilities and understand the business.
- Arabic and English Language – advanced level
- Experience of advising food manufacturers, distributors, or retailers
- Experience of advising big brands.
- Experience with Legal support and regulatory advice relevant to the Supply Chain, Finance and HR functions.
- Secondment to industry if currently in private practice.
- Experience of dealing with senior directors.